“Creative York inspires the community through arts education, gallery experiences, and outreach programs.“
Creative York is a 501c3 non-profit arts center located in downtown York, Pennsylvania, featuring two art galleries, ceramics studios, art classes for all ages, and several community outreach programs. Creative York was founded in 1990 to support local artists in all disciplines and to make the arts accessible to the general public. Creative York continues to inspire the community through arts education, gallery experiences and outreach programs, with a vision of giving everyone the confidence to discover and express their unlimited imagination, innate creativity, and potential to meet the needs of our thriving, vibrant community.
Creative York is also proud to provide a focused effort to reach at-risk children in the City of York. Our award-winning Art in the Parks summer program features art-making activities that teach social skills, respect for others, group decision-making, teamwork, and positive self-expression to more than 600 children yearly.
We also serve a broader audience through free art exhibits and many other mission-related activities.
More About Us
- Creative York serves members of the community ranging in age from 3 years old to 103!
- Each year we inspire more than 10,000 children and adults at Creative York and through our community outreach programs.
- Local schools utilize Creative York to supplement and enhance the education of their students — including literary arts, visual arts, and other curricula.
- The Creative York galleries feature local, regional, and national artists’ work, as well as educational exhibits, classes, and art events.
- Scouts can earn art merit badges through Creative York classes.
- Creative York helps create a thriving cultural district to enhance the quality of life by creating new business opportunities and showcasing downtown York’s vibrant arts and rich history.
- Best Art Gallery, Susquehanna Style’s Best of York, 2020
- Best Art Gallery, Susquehanna Style’s Best of York, 2019
- Best Art Gallery, Susquehanna Style’s Best of York, 2018
- 2016 York Public Arts Award, State of the City, 2017
- Best Art Gallery, Susquehanna Style’s Best of York, 2016
- Best Art Gallery, Susquehanna Style’s Best of York, 2015
- Focus Forward Award for Creative York’s Art in the Parks, Central York High School, 2015
- E.B. Frock Memorial Award for Creative York’s Art Works program, York County Juvenile Court, 2014
- Best Art Gallery, Susquehanna Style’s Best of York, 2014
- Outstanding YCAL Partner Award, York County Alliance for Learning, 2011
- Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Support of Community Services, United Way of York County, 2010
- York County Chamber of Commerce Accreditation, 2004-2009
- The Nonprofit Innovation Award, Central Penn Business Journal, 2011
- Outstanding Non-Profit Organization, Main Street York, Inc., 2001
- Downtown First Awards, Main Street York, Inc., 2001
- Heart Award, Byrnes Health Education Center, 2000
- National Arts Education Award, BRAVO, 2000
- Merit Award for “Together We Make This a Better Place” community mosaic project, National Association of Redevelopment Officials, 1998
- Preservation Award, Historic York, Inc., 1997
- Mindy Christian, Executive Director
- Steph Holmes, Director of Education
- Ivy Rodgers, Program Coordinator
- Beth Kaltreider, Special Events and Volunteer Coordinator
- Jodi Kohl, Office Administrator
- Chair: Rebecca M. Shanaman, Attorney, CGA Law Firm
- Vice Chair: Matt Kale, Financial Advisor, Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
- Secretary: Karly Young, Creative Director & Brand Strategist, The Anstadt Company
- Treasurer: Luke Hirneisen, Senior Vice President, Citibank
- Ed Bird, Chief Investment Officer, Academy Financial
- Andrew D’Agenais, Owner, The Handsome Cab
- Ellen Ehlenbeck, Artist, Art Educator, Graphic Designer, Illustrator
- DeAnna Hain, Executive Director of Marketing, York Wallcoverings
- Kim Kerlin, Past Board Chair, Community Member
- Brianna Sheehan, Human Resources, Jewish Community Center
- Larry Young, Attorney, CGA Law Firm
- Sharon Biondo, Controller, Jewish Community Center
- Wade Fulton, English Teacher, Dallastown Area School District
- Doug Kauffman, Owner, Biscotti Boy Sweets by Douglas
- Rosa Luz Catterall, Art Therapist, Wellspan and Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- Ron Rhodes, Realtor, Berkshire Hathaway Homesale Realty
- Cole Wagner, Manager of Commercial Sales and Service, Shipley Energy
Want to stay in the know? Check out our latest newsletter!
Learn About our 2015 Capital Campaign
(and Those Who Made It Possible)
After 25 years of serving York County, Creative York decided to dramatically expand its commitment to creativity and arts education. So Creative York (as YorkArts) set out on a Capital Campaign in 2015 to reach a goal of raising $1.3 million to grow its educational capacity, outreach, and organizational sustainability. With the support of more than 200 donors, we not only met, but exceeded, our Capital Campaign goal!
Click here to learn more about our 2015 Capital Campaign: 2015 Capital Campaign